Water, What Everyone Should know
“Thousands have lived without love, not one without water”W. H. Auden
Do yourself a solid and every time you read the word “water” in this post, drink some!!
Water. Your body’s fuel. Your lifeline. Try living without it and you won’t get very far.
I’m writing this post and I’ve got to say, it has a lot to do with my own selfish reasons. I’ll be the first to admit that I NEVER drink enough water and need reminded of its importance. It’s a constant battle for me. Funny thing is, every time I’m feeling under the weather, I call up my mom and you know what she tells me? “Drink water!” Every. Single. Time. So I do and usually feel 10x better. You’d think I’d learn! Thanks mom.
What happens when you don’t get enough water?
- Your skin and eyes will dry out. Have you ever had to use chapstick about 1,000 times and those lips are STILL dry? You probably need water.
“Up to 60% of the human adult body is water.”USGS
- Your joints will start to ache.
“Water is the most abundant component of articular cartilage, contributing up to 80% of its wet weight.”NCBI
- You’ll have a build up of toxins if you aren’t getting enough good ol’ H2O. Toxins can make you fatigued, sick, damage your DNA which will make you age faster, and cause disease among other things.
“Drinking at least 8 glasses a day will help rid the body and skin of toxins.”UWHealth
- Organs can’t do their jobs effectively if we aren’t giving them adequate amounts of water. Think of all the medicines, chemicals, lotions, sprays, and any other harsh substances that get processed through your body every day. It’s not as simple as going in and coming right out. Your body is hard at work trying to filter all of it. You can’t filter a 5 gallon bucket of sand with a cup of water…
“the kidneys require water for the filtration of waste from the blood stream and excretion via urine.”NCBI
- You’ll just feel “blah”. Tiredness, headaches, lack of focus, and your mood will be effected as well. Your brain is 73% water so it goes without saying that not keeping your brain hydrated will effect quite a bit.
“About three-quarters of your brain is water, and when dehydrated, your brain actually shrinks in volume.”MERCOLA
Reminders to drink more water
If you need some help remembering to drink then here are some tried and true methods. Try one or try them all, you overachiever!
- “Hey Siri!” Set those alarms!
- Use a gallon jug and mark the times and amounts you need to be drinking on the jug itself. The visual may help you but make sure you keep it close by.
- Drink before every snack.
- Add lemon. It’s healthy and the lemon will actually make you want to drink more. (Just stay away from lemons at restaurants. I read somewhere once that a public toilet seat is cleaner than any lemon at a restaurant. I don’t know how much truth there is to that but…I’m not a gambler.)
- Use an app. Who knew there were so many of us with this issue that they make money off of reminding us to drink!
- When you drink an entire glass, immediately fill it back up.
- Buy a reusable straw. Straws are fun. (Just tell yourself that)
- If you’re using a bottle, make it a clear one. That way you can see how much you’re drinking.
- Set a goal and then reward yourself.
- Eat foods that contain mostly water. (Watermelon, lettuce, cantaloupe, cucumber)
Find what works for you!
I’ve tried everything and for me none of those worked out because I’ll be honest, I don’t like water. It’s bland and boring and you can’t change that without putting flavoring, lemons, fruit, or herbs in it. I don’t have the time to make my glass of water into a cocktail of sorts every time I need to drink.
With that being said, my dad told me once about a doctor who’d told him to never sip water. Gulp it.
When I remember, I drink half to a whole large glass at a time. It’s most practical for me. Those other options work just fine for some. They just don’t work for me.
So find what works for you and rehydrate!
John 4:14 “but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”NKJV